Belvedere Marittimo is a town in the province of Cosenza. Its territory covers a stretch of the Tyrrhenian coast from Serluca Calabaja to Santa Litterata, and in the middle, Capo Tirone. The old town has maintained all the characteristics of an ancient Medieval hamlet with noble buildings, alleyways and gates, and it overlooks a wide view of the mountains and sea.
The origins of the ancient settlement, called Belviderium, are uncertain: the finding of a bronze axe in the 19th century shows that human presence in the area probably dates back to the Pre-historic age (10th-9th century B.C.). Other archeological findings concern Bruttian graves (4th-3rd century B.C.). The first encastellation can be ascribed to the Normans who built the castle on the cliff under Roger the Norman (1031-1101). The castle was heroically defended in 1289 against the Aragon troops who succeeded in conquering it only in 1490.
Belvedere people were also involved in the Battle of Lepanto (October 7, 1571) during which the brave mariner and explorer Cecco Pisano distinguished himself. In 1622 the town was given to Tiberio Carafa, the first Prince of Belvedere, after whom the castle, that has always been the heart of the town history, was named.