Built in the 14th century, Agnana Calabra had mineral springs and coal mines that supplied the first Italian train from Naples during the kingdom of Ferdinand II. In the small village handicraft manufacturing is still very common and smells and flavors from local food spread around the ancient alleyways.
Agnana was built by the Baron of Mammola around 1343 near a Basilian monastery located on top of Mt Sant'Agnana (which gave the name to the town). To enlarge his possessions, the baron created settlements for the shepherds in charge of his herd and for some peasant families who cultivated his lands. The disastrous earthquake of February 1783, that killed 10 people and caused thirty thousand ducats in damage, destroyed the Church of the patron Saint Basil. After its reconstruction, it was almost entirely destroyed again by a hurricane on January 23, 1885. On May 19, 1846, Ferdinand II, accompanied by his wife Maria Theresa of Austria and the heir to the throne Prince Francis, visited the mineral deposits of lignite and anthracite that were the main source of employment and development for people in the area. The anthracite extracted in the site was employed to build the Italian railway Rome-Frascati in 1882.
Mineral springs are the real treasure of Agnana. A sulfurous, two chlorinated and a ferruginous-sulfurous springs are located in the Junchi area. However, though the waters were classified as thermo-mineral and suitable for the treatment of different diseases, they are almost unknown. Remains of ancient tanks that were used in the past for therapeutic purposes are still visible.
Agnana was the birthplace of Rocco Nicola Sità (1908) who was considered an anarchist and a “supporter of ideas that could not be tolerated by the Fascist regime”.