No doubt tourism is the main economic resource for Tropea. The environmental conditions, the development of the hotel accommodations and the doubling size of the port, contributed to the growth of this sector. The beach of the Rotonda is one of the most beautiful beaches of Tropea, it is delimited by the rock of San Leonardo and by rocks that separate it from another small beach. The Linguata Beach is one of the largest beaches in Tropea, bordered to the left with the Island and to the right with the reefs I Missaggi. Very wide and long, it is the beach loved by the young and those who practice diving thanks to the closeness of the Isola degli Scogli (the Island of the Reefs). The beach is made of white sand and the seabed is covered, for the first 5 meters by a large, compact reef. At the left of the islet lies the spiaggia Marina dell'Isola (the beach Marina of Isle) whose dimensions are quite small. Tourists can circumnavigate the Island and reach the Grotta del Palombaro (the cave of the Palombaro). From this beach side, every 15th August, the traditional procession in the sea of the Madonna takes place. Another beautiful beach is the Spiaggia del Convento (the beach of the Convent), so named for the presence of a convent which partly overhangs creating a picturesque setting. The beach is composed of white sand. At about 1 km from the town is the Beach of Passo Cavalieri, the largest and a beloved destination for foreign tourists and an ideal place for diving. The beach, also in this case, is composed of white sand. The smallest of the beaches, but also the least crowded of Tropea, is the Spiaggia del Cannone (the Cannon Beach).
Of great interest is the old town, where there are portals, churches and buildings of various ages and where it is possible to walk through the stalls and shops that sell local handicrafts and taste the various typical products at a restaurant. Tropea has numerous remains of Roman buildings; 17th – 18th century buildings, with Spanish style balconies, doorways and gardens that open onto squares and streets. Piazza Ercole is dominated by an 18th century palace with a granite prospectus, iron wrought railings and niches, once a noble residence, now the home of cultural associations. The square extends on Corso Vittorio Emanuele up to a balcony overlooking the sea, from which the rock of S. Leonardo can be seen on the right and the small island of St. Mary on the left.
Among the most important religious buildings there is the Cathedral of Norman origin, remodelled several times following the earthquakes and returned to its original shape after the restoration carried out in the twenties. The cathedral contains many works of art including a 16th century black crucifix, the Madonna del Popolo and Bambino e angioli, a marble sculpture of Fra Agnolo Montorsi dating 1555, a precious ciborium of Tuscan art belonging to the 15th century and a Byzantine table datable 1630, depicting the Madonna of Romania patroness of Tropea. The Cathedral is connected to the bishop's palace by a stone portico of the 14th century. In the town there is the church of San Francesco, which was built in 1295, and within which there are the remains of 14th century frescoes and the Gothic chapel of St. Pietro ad Ripas. At the church of San Francesco there is a beautiful Gothic chapel. Worthy of interest are the churches of S. Maria della Neve, del Carmine, del Gesù, dell'Annunziata. Impressive is the Sanctuary of Santa Maria dell'Isola, known for being a Benedictine sanctuary of late medieval origin, transformed into a three-aisled basilica during the Renaissance, with the facade rebuilt after the earthquake of 1905. The islet that houses the Sanctuary is the centre of great environmental and artistic interest and a tourist resort of international fame.
Tropea marina is made up of an outer breakwater of 500 meters, with a northeast direction and an inner breakwater of 210 meters with a north direction. On the inner side of the breakwater there are 3 piers, while on the outer breakwater 6 floating docks have been installed. At the dock, there is a stretch of quay destined for transit M / n passengers and emergency.
The Diocesan Museum of Tropea, open to the public since 2004 in the former Bishop's Palace, includes an entrance on Via Roma, giving directly on a porch of the Swabian period, testimony of the first phase of the building, which hosts groups of 16th and 18th century statues. The first level, houses the archaeological section: the proto-historic artefacts from Tropea and the neighbouring hilly area, and a room dedicated to the excavations carried out in largo Duomo, which have brought to light a necropolis of late antique epoch (5th -6th century), with rare “cupae” tombs with embedded dedicatory tombstones, important examples of the language and the civilization of those years that would have become the nucleus of the future city. At the top level, the material is divided according to a double thematic route, linked to the activity of catechesis carried out by ecclesiastical museums and the material nature of the artefacts. Many altarpieces from the churches of the city and from the baroque Cathedral are displayed. Of great interest is the medieval table on gold background with "Our Lady of Grace" and "the Madonna with Franciscan saints", belonging to the Sicilian school of the 17th century. The rich collection of statues and wooden busts is extremely precious, most of which have a typical baroque gold leaf decoration, among which "St. Anthony with the Child" by Fra 'Diego da Careri, and especially the wooden crucifix attributed to the workshop of Cagini are worth seeing. The Cathedral treasure includes the rare gothic pastoral bacolo, in enamels of the late 15th century, the doors of Our Lady of Romania, a Neapolitan artwork dated 1704, various liturgical objects, and the life size statue of Santa Domenica, realized in 1738 by the Neapolitan silversmith Francesco Avellino. Of great interest is the exhibition of liturgical vestments, with fabrics from the 16th century, some marble fragments, such as coats of arms and the tombstone of Andrea de Rogerio (14th century), and the last room called "Giuseppe Grimaldi”, used for conferences, with the chapel de Paù, commissioned by the homonymous prelate in the 18th century, with an original majolica floor from Vietri.