Wealthy water has sprung for more than 2000 years at a temperature of 39°C in the Reventino mountains that face the Gulf of Sant’Eufemia. Scholars would identify the springs with the Acquae Angae of the Roman Itineraria, known since the 2nd century A.D. They were renowned and used among the Bruttians, Greeks, Romans and Normans. They are still employed to heal different pathologies. The Caronte Spa is an advanced thermal complex; it offers up-to-date treatments in the respect of its historical and cultural roots. The complex includes a wellness area where traditional resources as water and muds are employed together with general treatment of imperfection and fitness. Caronte Spa is the ideal place for prevention, treatment and rehabilitation procedures in several pathologies; the temperate climate and uncontaminated environment will help everyone to recover health and well-being.
Lamezia Terme castle was erected in ancient times. The Byzantines probably built the original castron and its related burgus (Nicastro) in the 9th century to house a big military garrison in charge of the protection of the area from Lombard invasion. The ruined castle majestically stands on a rock promontory overhanging on Canne stream, in the Nicastro district, and overlooking the old San Teodoro district. From this position, the army was able to defend the castle and control the plain up to the sea. The castle was enlarged over the centuries. In 1198 Constance of Hauteville and, later in 1235, his son Frederick II had the castle renovated. In that period, the castle had no surrounding walls and it was protected only by its inaccessible position on the rock promontory. In the higher part of the castle, a fortified complex stood that housed the hexagonal keep. The keep was joined to the residential wing by a slightly sloping place-of-arms. The Eastern main access was protected by three round towers. As a consequence of the earthquakes that hit the area, the castle slowly decayed and was abandoned. In 1992, the Municipal Administration of Lamezia Terme has started conservative restoration interventions to preserve the remains of the castle by structural and monumental reinforcement. Additional restauration and enhancement works of the Norman Swabian castle were sponsored by the Calabria Regional Office for Cultural heritage. The archaeological survey has highlighted the imposing rock cliff where the Norman-Swabian keep was erected: at present, it is possible to see the strong fortified structure placed directly on the rock as Norman architectural principles dictated. Moreover, the original access to the hilltop was found. It is a stone stairway, that was hidden behind a wall retaining the cliff, built in the Anjou period. A large area dedicated to working activities was also discovered. Findings included a furnace where both glass and metal objects were produced (primary and secondary processing) and a large rock-carved lime kiln with big pieces of local green stone ready to be rough-hewn. The complex draining system visible on the keep cliff date around the 16th century: water flowed to the great low castle tank through three clay pipes. The manhole of one of the pipes can also be seen. A large rectangular 16th-17th-century room built against the castle walls probably housed the kitchen: the refractory brick base of a big oven still stands in the northern corner of the room. Outside the building, a ceramic kiln was discovered, dating to the same period. The Malta keen, a rectangular tower located near Gizzeria Lido, is worth a visit. It has a peculiarity, if compared to most of the watch towers standing along the coasts of Southern Italy, the former Reign of Naples or the Two Sicilies: its walls are some meters thick, so that it could resist firearm attacks.
The Museum created by Umberto Zaffina houses about one thousand household objects. It includes seven rooms of a 19th-century building built by the owner’s forefathers and located in Patelle. The exhibition involves different areas (bedroom, kitchen, farming, handicraft and a small library containing archives, photos and documents) and it recovers the traditional life of Sambiase district. Photographs, books, furnishings, give new life to the past and show the tangible life and culture of old times. The textile workshop stands a little apart from the main building. Here, old wooden looms are employed to revive one of the most ancient and noble activities of Lamezia area whose economy has been always characterized by manufacturing enterprises. The new Lamezia Archaeological Museum was opened in 2010. It is located at the first floor of the Monumental complex of San Domenico. The large exhibition area hosts three different sections: Pre-history, Classic Age, Middle Ages. The Pre-historic section, dedicated to the Nicastro scholar Dario Leone, evidences human presence in Calabria since very ancient time. Stands display ancient tools employed by the first Paleolithic hunters settled in the region. Moreover, evidences of Neolithic agricultural activity dating to 7500 years ago were found in the Lamezia Plain (Casella di Maida, Acconia, San Pietro Lametino). The most ancient Greek remains are 7th-century B.C. pottery fragments discovered in Sansinato, on the Lamezia-Catanzaro isthmus, certifying that the isthmus was a communication route between the Ionian and Tyrrhenian seas. The Classic Age section, however, mainly exhibits epigraphic findings and coins related to Terina, the splendid Kroton subcolony probably settled in the area of Sant’Eufemia Vetere. A systematic archaeological investigation of the area was started in 1997 by the Calabria Archaeological Department. The Middle Age section is mostly dedicated to the Norman castle in Nicastro, though remains from the Abbey of S. Maria di S. Eufemia discovered during the 2006 archaeological campaign can also be seen. The stands dedicated to the castle display selected remains found during archaeological excavations that have been carried out by the Calabria Archaeological Department since 1993. Evidences are chronologically exhibited to show how the fortress area was continuously inhabited from Byzantine and Norman to Modern Ages. Samples of pottery fragments found during the recent excavation campaigns and other artifacts from the Benedictine Abbey of Sant’Eufemia are also exhibited. Robert Guiscard had the Abbey erected between 1062 and 1065 on the rests of a Byzantine monastery. The Diocesan Museum is hosted in the Episcopal Seminary, where the Historical Archive and Library can be visited. The Museum keeps artifacts including missals, vestments and some Bishops’ portraits. Of particular interest are an Arab-Sicilian 12th-century ivory small chest, 15th-century arm-reliquaries of Saint John the Baptist and Saint Stephen, liturgical furnishings created by Neapolitan silversmiths. The museum also preserves several works of art, among which a painting representing “San Francesco” attributed to Mattia Preti, and several works by Francesco Colelli (1738), a renowned local painter, deserve to be mentioned.
The town’s theaters are: the cinema theater Grandinetti, built in 1935 by the businessman Francesco Grandinetti, Umberto Theater and Politeama Theater.